Wednesday 27 January 2010

To prepare or not to prepare?

I didn't take much advice when my husband and I decided to try for a baby. Looking back I probably should have done.

I went to the doctors to get my contraceptive of choice removed and mentioned that we wanted to start trying for a baby in the coming months. Much to my husband's consternation the doctor told us we should not be 'joining' every day as this would deplete our sperm count. Instead we should be aiming for once every three days or so to give the little 'fellas' a chance to regroup!

After what was rather a brief chat about pregnancy and being bundled out of the door with a scrappy pile of print-offs relating to pregnancy and alcohol and pregnancy and diet, we left the doctor's surgery and headed for home to cogitate.

Following on from that we decided to float about on the internet for a while to see what we could stumble across. Unfortunately my rather disorganised approach to pregnancy research resulted in a big, fat blank as far as information was concerned. I'm sure there's oodles of site out there with information for prospective mums and dads to wade around in, immersing themselves in the whole experience of trying for a baby; I was damned if I could find it!

So what about blagging it? Probably not a wise move but how many women fall pregnant by accident and just find their way through without harm to them or the baby? Besides, I have the wisdom of my Mum, my mother in law, my sisters in law who have both fairly recently had children of their own. Plus I have my fabulous husband to run around for me if I so wish! What more could a woman need... a support network within five minutes of her own front door.

I am blessed.

And so, when it comes to planning, researching and preparing, I'm sure there is a lot to be said, if that's the way you want to do it. Me? I'm more of a 'fly by the seat of my pants' kind of girl. While never putting me or my unconceived child at risk, I have taken the decision to roll with the punches, as it were. I'm relatively fit and healthy. I've had a blood test recently, which came back with a clean bill of health. What more can I do?

Perhaps a quick trip to the local bookshop for some pregnancy help books might be in order, just in case...

4 comments:

Tim Atkinson said...

Well, the books never do much harm... as long as you approach them like an a la carte menu - from several different restaurants! Happy reading!

Ffi said...

When I got pregnant with my eldest she hadn't been planned (must write a post about that at some time!)and I didn't follow any diets or what not!!
Fingers crossed that it happens.
BNMx

Anonymous said...

I didnt plan on having a baby at all and it all came as a MASSIVE shock considering i was told 4yrs ago i couldnt have children so after 4yrs of using no contraception it just happened.
So i had no time to prepare physically or mentally and its been the biggest whirlwind adventure of my life and im only 24 in a week or so. Iv been told im having a very unlucky pregnancy with constant problems (not with the baby shes fit as a fiddle) just with me and my health and iv lost a lot of weight so stay healthy and happy and do whatever your body tells you to do (usually rest)
Iv watched a friend of mine let baby planning take over her life and its upsetting but it seems you have a sensible head on ur shoulders so all the best

:)

Vonnie said...

My experience of pregnancy related advice was that with my first pregnancy I didn't need it because I'd read every book out there and knew it all. With my second, I'd had a four year gap and all the advice had changed in the interim so advice was sought. By the third, I'd had every pregnancy drama you can think of and by the fourth I was so blasé that I don't think anyone around me would have batted an eyelid if I'd squatted and delivered mid-conversation!

Personally, I'd say go with what you feel comfortable with in terms of information but be aware that you will never in your life receive as much unsolicited advice as when you're pregnant.

Good luck, and enjoy! x

Post a Comment

What do you think?